As cyber threats are ever increasing in complexity, intensity and frequency, we have compiled below our top 10 tips that every business can follow to help improve your cyber resilience.
- Passwords should be different for each account in order to avoid one cracked password compromising all accounts. Consider using a password management programme such as Lastpass.
- Passwords should be at least 12 characters long, they should include upper and lowercase characters and they should include numbers as well as special characters.
- Always be cautious of phishing emails. Look out for fake email addresses and bad spelling or grammar, these are usually the main giveaways.
- Be sure to have backups of your data and systems (ideally in the cloud). Know how to use them. Test that they work.
- Make sure your supply chain is as safe as your business is. Cyber Essentials certification is a good indication of this.
- Physical security is just as important as cyber security. Make sure office equipment such as servers, laptops and computers are behind locked doors.
- Make sure your data is encrypted. Include encryption software on work devices so if they are ever stolen the data would be unreadable.
- Implement policies across your business to ensure your staff know how to create a good password and browse the internet safety.
- Make sure VPN’s are enabled on all staff devices so that internet usage and data transmission is more secure.
- Ensure all your employees know the importance of constantly maintaining cyber security best practice and have a set of clearly defined rules to follow.
If you would like to get help with understanding or implementing these tips please do get in contact with the CYBX team here.